<$BlogRSDURL$>

Online Poker at Full Tilt Poker
Play poker at the only online poker room designed by the world’s best players.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Opening Day at the Canterbury
So Mrs. Cheap Thrills was out of town this weekend. Usually when left to my own devices I drink too much beer and/or play too much online poker. This weekend was a little different.

My birthday was last week, and I got an iPod. Yes, I am a few years late in realizing that these things are pretty darn cool. However, I found myself spending a lot of time organizing the hell of out of my collection of 5000+ songs, and when the weekend rolled around I was determined to get away from the computer and out of the house.

So Saturday I went down to the Canterbury for the opening day of racing season. It was also Kentucky Derby day. I figured the poker room would be packed, but I was wrong. I arrived at 1:30 and there was open seating for $3/$6 and $4/$8. But it was too nice outside, so I went out and watched the races. Placed about $20 in bets that went nowhere: I enjoy the ponies but boy does it feel -EV to bet 'em. Oh well. I had a very nice time just sitting in the sun, listening to music, and sipping a beer. (Miller Lite -- I realize I'm as heavy as I've ever been -- I blame my first Minnesota winter -- so I'm on a diet). Definitely gotta get down to the track a lot this summer. Mrs. Cheap Thrills had taken the camera with her on her trip, or else I would've snapped some photos.

By 3:30 the grandstand was in the shade, and it was getting just a bit unpleasantly windy. Plus I thought the poker room might fill up aftere the Kentucky Derby ran at 5pm. So I placed $10 on my Kentucky Derby pick (#17, Lawyer Ron).

To my suprise there was still open seating for $4/$8. I sat down and won my first hand with a set of 2s.

I kinda wanted to listen to my iPod as I played, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. For one thing I was worried I'd miss some part of the action, but mostly I just felt like it would be rude. Maybe as I get used to wearing the headphones they'll feel less conspicous.

Unfortunately, the session did not go all that well, and I lost $140. Not so bad for $4/$8, but certainly not good. I can't even complain about the cards -- I got my share of good hands, but I also misplayed several. Notably I made a couple "good laydowns" that in retrospect I think were mistakes. I think I still have a lot more hesitation in tossing the chips out there at $4/$8 that I do at $3/$6, which annoys me because rationally I'm not that worried about the extra money. But irrationally I guess $4/$8 still bothers the cheapass in me. Gotta work on that.

The other factor is that my live game suffers when I haven't played in a while. But Mrs. Cheap Thrills and I are set to head back down in 2 weeks for the first Friday night race session, which I'm sure will be followed by poker. So hopefully I'll get my mojo back soon enough.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger Listed on 
BlogShares Who Links Here